Saturday, April 8, 2023

The bigger picture PP#30

     My project has come a long way, and it was such a blast to film, make, and edit.  You can probably tell once you watch it that we had a fun time creating this piece.  I asked my friends, in particular, to come to help me make this film, just because it's our last year together, in which we're heading off to college in around a year, I really wanted to create something that we could work together, and that would be able to be preserved on the internet for the test of time. An internet time capsule!

    And while all of this seems nice and awesome, I still have to relate this to the project at hand and one core question: "How does this project represent social groups or issues?"  This question was mainly the only one that really had me stirred once I was taking a quick gander over the questions I needed to answer.  It had me really stumped because, from the start, I really didn't think of this question in hand.  I didn't pick and choose a social issue or idea that I wanted to explicitly describe in my film at the beginning, I just wanted to make something awesome.  But at the end of the day, I think over the process of concept, practice, filming, editing, and everything in between, being able to extract an abstract idea from my short film will prove extremely beneficial.  

    Immediately right off the bat, I don't think my project relates to any social or minority groups, instead leaning towards more issues prevalent within today's society.  And while my short film definitely has a comedic tone to it, and isn't necessarily supposed to be taken extremely seriously, I do believe that could be an underlying social comment underneath all the bad words and blood.  

    I think the idea of technology and how it can/could be used in the future is defienmtly a major takeaway to be seen within my short film.  As you may already know, my short film shows off the main character, David, diving into a virtual world that is essentially like real-life, only to realize that not everything is what it seems.  This canbe seen in other types of pop culture, especially dysoptian ones.  

    Take Ready Player One for instance.  Not only was this a huge inspiration, but offers a similar ideal as to how destructive technology can be to our society.  The book makes an even better encompass regarding the ideology and dark side regarding technology, in which the main character, Wade Watts, totally submerged himself into the Oasis, only to find out all along, that the only place that is truly real, is reality.  With this, it kinda goes to show how technology, and this idea of conformity can hurt humans if we become too conromfatble with them, enough to the point where they replace relaioty like in the film.  

    Another great example can be seen in Aldous Huxley's classic, Brave New World.   Interms of inspirations and examples for my short film, I've mentioned Ready Player One a whole lot, but Huxley's book is a great example.  I read it this year during my language class, and the role technology has in that book can be seen somewhat within my film.  In Brave New World, technology pretty much shapes everyone's existence, from reproductive procedures, all the way till later in life.  One of the major aspects, like soma, which is essentially like a drug in that book, can be seen sorta resembling the VR headset in my film.  Once David lifts up the headset, he acts like its an ancient relic.  And while a VR headset is cool, David pretty much is consumed by it, even enough to the point where he literally dies at the end.  

    Definitely something along technology, and the social implications it has on us, humans!!!!


-Noa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signing off #33

      Man, this project was fun!      I don't normally say that when it comes to projects ;-;     But this one was different.  I always ...