Thursday, April 6, 2023

Done editing PP#29

     I'm done editing!  This last week has not necessarily been filled with much editing, just minor touches.  Usually, when I edit, I'll edit all the clips together in a super rough format, then I'll proceed to go back at it and refine it, and refine it some more... and more... and more... all the way till every end when I think the final product is complete.  This is because I'll be viewing my product so far, then as I watch it again and again, I always noticed small things I can add, every time that I watch.  And up until I get to a point in which I'm left with very little to add, that's when I call it complete.  






        This is the final timeline of the video.  Although it doesn't really look like much except for a lot of overlapping videos, this was probably the most ambitious project I have done.  There were a lot of new elements put into here that I simply just had to discover and implement into my story.  For example, I used a lot of filters and overlays that I haven't been used to.  When I wanted to create black bars on both the top and bottom of the screen, I just used some black screenshots and made the bars there myself!  Additionally, I had to do a lot of color correction when it came to certain scenes that had action in them, like when David and Saloman would start to fight.  


    In this part, for instance, the black bars give it a lot more cinematic feel to it, while the color filter gives a more desolate, desperate feel?  I really don't know how to describe it, but it just looks cool as fuck!!!!

    Also, the fight scene itself was like a whole other beast to handle.  The tempo and speed that the fight scene needed to operate were really different from anything that I'd done before.  Usually, I've only edited dialogue together and haven't really needed to match to any sort of beat or rhythm, and it was simply just merging dialogue cuts in between each other in order to get a coherent idea across.  But fighting is different.   Matching movement is so much harder than matching language, just because language is naturally split up.  Take a conversation for instance.  Usually, when one person speaks, another person responds, and vice versa.  But fighting is a little bit different.  Usually, someone will throw a punch, and they'll get punched back, right?  Wrong!!  I've come to learn that there are different aspects that come with fighting, like momentum, reaction, and speed, that all affect whether or not the final product will look legit or not.  That meant that when it came to fights it was a process to align each punch and make sure the reactions would match the impacts and whatnot.  
    Also, fighting is like a music video.  Sort of.  Take any pop culture, fighting content for instance.  Usually, there'll be some music or song going with the flow of the fight that'll take it to the next level and make it seem really awesome.  But adding that sort of music is really tough as it has to correlate with the punches and impact, so it flows with the overall flow of the fight.  


    A great example can be seen in this instance, in which Saloman is in the air as David takes him all the way up in a super cinematic maneuver.  Super cool stuff, David knows his wrestling and his moves.  But as David threw Saloman into the sky, I managed to find a brief pause in the song and match that with the aerial motion of the fight.  It sounds super cool! 

    Those are just a couple of examples of some of the editing nuances I had to overcome.  I had a ton of fun editing it, and I can't wait for it to be seen.  


-Noa





No comments:

Post a Comment

Signing off #33

      Man, this project was fun!      I don't normally say that when it comes to projects ;-;     But this one was different.  I always ...