Sunday, December 11, 2022

The Making of Jonah

I made Jonah pretty much as a service for my brother, Jonah.  A lot of individuals hear the phrase, autism, however, don't fully understand the full idea behind it, and since my brother has difficulty expressing what autism is truly like, I figured I'd do so using my parents, along with my brother's therapists, as ultimate leverage into understanding what autism really means.  

The first order of business is the outline for my documentary.  Whenever I start a new project, an outline is a must just so I can a) have a clear and coherent idea of what I'm doing throughout the whole process, and b) actually see if what I'm thinking is going to work out.  The outline for this project was different and strange.  I haven't made anything like a documentary before, in which there would be extensive narration or shooting of impractical subjects (i.e Jonah in public, or old photos).  Usually when I produce something, and I plan with an outline, I know what I'm recording.  With Nat 20 for instance, I knew exactly what I needed to record, beginning to end because recording a narrative film is a lot more straightforward.  But for Jonah, I had extremely prominent, rough ideas for what needed to be recorded, like the interviews with my mother and father, b-roll shots of jonah, and interviews with therapists, however, actually getting all these required luck, planning, and some determination!



Portion of Outline
Above this body of text is an example of what I mean by why this documentary, in relation to the outline and its prominent components, was more difficult than a traditional outline I've done in the past.  I knew what I was gonna ask my parents, where it would fit into the documentary, and how it would progress the documentary itself.  The only thing that I really couldn't predict is what my parents would literally say.  I wanted them to essentially tell me whatever they wanted when I prompted them with questions in order to eliminate a superficial vibe I could've potentially drawn in, however by doing this I risk not getting proper answers that could excel my documentary further.  I had hopes for my interviewees, since they're my parents and all, however, it is still a little jarring when a large portion of your outline relies directly on these interviews since I had no idea what they would say until I asked them.  

When it comes to production, I'd split it into three parts: interviews, looking for old photos, and Noa-looking-like-a-creep-recording-my-brother-in public-for-what-seems-like-no-apparent-reason.

The interview portion was tricky to handle. I needed to coordinate the days that I would interview my parents and the therapists.  My parents, especially my father, work pretty long hours and they're not always home at certain times.  However, I managed to land a day when they were both home and would sit them both down back-to-back and ask them the same questions, while also improvising with others.  


Here is my father, who I interviewed after my mom.  I made sure to interview them during the same night in order to ensure that the camera angles and lighting would remain consistent throughout their interviews, which was important considering how my parents, in terms of their shots in the documentary, are played back-to-back, which meant keeping the background and camera angles the same is crucial.  This night ended up being a good night, and I got some really great answers from them!  I told them prior that I would ask them about Jonah, however, I didn't explicitly mention exactly what I would ask so when they would end up answering, I wanted to hear exactly what they thought of at moment.  

When it came to the therapists, the interviews were harder to obtain since they don't live at my house, and are only here for specific times during specific days, meaning my window to record them was shallow.  I managed to nab a schedule off my mom and determine when they would stop by the house and help Jonah, and proceed to ask them if they would mind getting interviewed.  Fortunately, they said yes.  Below is a photo from an interview I conducted with Mia, one of Jonah's therapists.  


Lastly was the b-roll, which was made up of me recording Jonah throughout the week, along with looking through some photos in our garage, and coming up with what adorable photos I'd find of Jonah.  The garage digging didn't take too long.  Fortunately, we just moved, which meant all of the photos were consequently in one box that was easily salvageable.  I think I found about 20 photos of Jonah from his youth, ranging from infant, all the way to about 4 years ago.  I always criticized my parents for all the photos that they'd keep, especially embarrassing ones of me.  Glad they've actually held onto them.  

Recording my brother in public, although a little strange, wasn't that hard.  He often would ask me what I'm doing, and I just told him I'm recording him, which he'd shrug off and look the other way, which always made me chuckle.  Especially this video.  Watch till the end.

And after I collected what felt like enough footage, it was time for my favorite part.  The editing.  Although this was a documentary, the editing still felt natural to me, which was good, however editing for as long as I did was rough, but I persevere!  The picture below shows the timeline for Jonah, which was longer than anything I've made in the past, but I still managed to get it done in just a couple of days!
But after the editing, I turned it in, showed it to my parents, and they loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signing off #33

      Man, this project was fun!      I don't normally say that when it comes to projects ;-;     But this one was different.  I always ...